Saturday 7 April 2007

Comments about the prologue


Fernando Savater wants to talk to Amador, his son, about what ethics is, but he wants to do it in a way which allows Amador to understand him and trough this to put in practice in his life.Savater also wants that his son has confidence on himself and on love and on his intelligence which will allow him to livea better life.This philosopher tries to explain some concepts that life concerns trought this particular way because Savater wants his son to read this when he feel that this is a neccesity and not an obligation.

3 comments:

Gladys Baya said...

Hi Laura!
As you went through the chapter: what did you feel Savater was telling you, his reader? Did you make any relationships between his speech and that of a teacher? And did you feel more closely identified with Savater or with Amador?
Lots of questions, as you can see!
Looking forward to reading your answers!
Gladys

L@ur@ said...

I think that what Savater wants to tell me is that ethics is not a subject to study such as math or geography, but something that we should apply to our lives,that is, to live in a better way in a society, in a group where we should respect others and they should respect us in the same way, among other things.
The relationship that I can make is that teachers usually expect the same from the students. Teachers want them to teach something in order to help them in their lives.
I think that I felt more closely identified with Amador because I often had teachers who played that role in my schooling. I haven´t had the opportunity "to be a teacher". But what I can tell you is that I would like to teach according to that idea.

Gladys Baya said...

Have you ever considered the fact that perhaps all school subjects can be "something that we should apply to our lives to live better", Lau? Have you wondered how teaching your students EFL can contribute to making their lives better?

And did you know not everybody agress that we should respect others and they should respect us in the same way? We'll go back to this discussion later this year!;-)

I certainly enjoy your sharing your thoughts with me... Thanks!

Gladys